Tony Perrett is a father, former councillor and Deputy Mayor, grazier, and is an active community member with a strong connection to the Gympie Region.
He was elected to the Queensland Parliament as the Member for Gympie in January 2015, and in November 2017, and again in 2020.
Tony and his wife Michele were married in 1992 and have two daughters, Steph and Josie. He grew up in the Kingaroy area and moved to the Gympie Region in 1997 when he and his family purchased the property ‘Tye,’ at the headwaters of Boonara Creek.
For much of his life Tony has always been actively involved in the community and is dedicated to community service joining local organisations at the age of 19.
In 2003 he was appointed to the Kilkivan Shire Council to fill a vacancy. He was re-elected in 2004 and appointed Deputy Mayor. After the formation of the newly amalgamated Gympie Regional Council he was elected in 2008 and appointed Deputy Mayor, and Chairman of the Community Services and Economic Development Committee. He was re-elected in 2012, and once again appointed Deputy Mayor. He also held the portfolio responsibility of Governance, Finance and Economic Development.
Tony values the importance of Gympie region’s large local volunteer base as part of the strong fabric and backbone of the community. He is a strong supporter of local service groups, events, festivals, and not-for-profit organisations, and has often been the MC at major fundraising events.
He has been an active supporter and volunteer since May 1998 of the Kilkivan Show and Camp Draft Association.
Tony was a member of the Board of St Patrick’s School for six years. He is patron of a numerous community organisations.
Tony’s interests include cricket, rugby league, shooting, snow skiing, bush walking, camping.
- Shadow Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries and Forestry: 15 Dec 2017
- Member, Infrastructure, Planning and Natural Resources Committee: 14 Feb 2017 – 24 Nov 2017
- Deputy Opposition Whip: 14 Feb 2017 – 11 Oct 2017
- Deputy Chair, Agriculture and Environment Committee: 10 May 2016 – 14 Feb 2017
- Member, Finance and Administration Committee: 18 Feb 2016 – 10 May 2016
- Member, Legal Affairs and Community Safety Committee: 27 Mar 2015 – 18 Feb 2016